The practice began in 1918 under the name of Mr Fred Hickman as a sole practitioner. Ted Brophy bought the practice in 1949 and was joined by Mr Gordon Knight one year later. This partnership established the trading name Brophy Knight. Expansion of the business has seen a number of partnership changes over the years. Previous Partners of the practice include John Brophy, Mike Masters, George Green, Don Church, David Matheson, Meredith Lowe, Trevor Croy, George Brown, Graham Kennedy and David Fisher.
In December 1998 the partnership converted to a company, Brophy Knight Limited and the current Directors are Mitchell Bellew, Brendon Adam, Greg Wall and Marcus Schoonderbeek.
Graham Kennedy and David Fisher are consultants.
The practice was initially sited at 69 -77 Tancred Street which used to be the premises for the former Loan & Building Society. A purpose built building (subsequently occupied by Charles Doig & Urquhart) was the next step, the site now occupied by Link Market Services. Business growth meant a move to larger offices in the Federated Farmers Building on West Street and since 1972 Brophy Knight Limited has been situated above the ANZ Bank on Tancred Street.